Saturday, October 22, 2005

Vacation

...or "why I haven't been complaining so much lately"



Life has been sweet the last week. MVG and I have been off on vacation (didn't go anywhere too far away).


It has been a busy week off for us.
<aside>
have you ever noticed that a week takes SO long when you are at work, yet is SO short when you are on vacation
</aside>
We started off last weekend by getting our apartment carpets steam cleaned. The entire family (dog, cat, MVG and I) all went to a local hotel for the night. On Saturday (the cleaning was on Friday), we painted our place a nice deep 'mocha' color. We figured, "hey, we have all the stuff out for cleaning, why not paint". We called these components of our "lease renewal package". We renewed our lease (for a year), so now we are trying to spruce up the place to make it seem like we moved.

Sunday was (more or less) a day of being lazy. We slept in, and I did some studying for the Sun Certified Java Programmer exam that I was taking on Thursday.
<suspense>
you will have to wait to see if I passed
</suspense>
Monday was a bike ride for us (MVG's first since she was in agony with a bad back for the previous 4 days).

Tuesday/Wednesday were spend in the Laurel Highlands at Nemacolin resort. Wow. We were upgraded to a room on a floor with butler service. I highly recommend getting upgraded. We came home on Wednesday to find our Cycle Ops Fluid Trainer had arrived. Funny, it was just sitting outside the door. They didn't bother to take it to the office. The next day, a $5 case for my cell phone arrived while we were out. They did bother to leave this at the office, rather than risk that somebody might take it.

Thursday we had to take the mini in for the 1 year service, and to get state certified. We got it detailed too. Thursday afternoon, I took the SCJP exam... it is regarded as being the hardest certification exam in the IT industry... I'm not sure about that. Anyway, to end the suspense, I passed. I'm now certified (although MVG says that I've always been certifiable). To celebrate, we went to Mad Mex for supper.

Friday, we went to get the Mini from the service center (and return the dogmeat car we rented). We celebrated getting the Mini back by eating at Zenith. Yum. I had the "Tofurkey Dinner".

So, that brings us up to speed. I'm studying now for the SCWCD (Sun Certified Web Component Developer) exam now. Tonight we go to see U2... tomorrow, I have a hockey game (to play, not watch). I expect to have some more torturous tales next week though, when I return to Initech.

Bye.

No comments: