This recipe is a variation of one found on www.egglesscooking.com, the frosting is made up, and took a lot of effort to get right, I'm going to give the proportions that I 'think' will work, but you may have to mess with it.
I'll put the frosting instructions below. When we made these, we used one of those silicon muffin pans without the paper wrappers... in hindsight, the wrappers are probably important. This made 12 cupcakes, and they are deee-lish.
- 1 3/4 cups flour (I used 1 cup whole spelt, 3/4cup whole wheat pastry)
- 1 cup organic raw sugar (you can probably use regular white sugar)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 14 fresh strawberries (you can probably use frozen)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (other oils would probably work)
- 1 tsp white vinegar (apple cider vinegar might work well)
You will need 2 bowls for this, and a food processor or blender. Preheat oven to 350F/180C
- in a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and sugar
- in second bowl, mix oil, vanilla, vinegar with a whisk.
- puree strawberries in food processor or blender, then whisk into the oil mix
- create a well in the center (or centre if you are Canadian) of the dry mix bowl, Add wet ingredients and stir until just mixed
- distribute the mix into the muffin pan evenly (lick out bowl after)
- Bake for 24 mins, then let cool in pan for 5 - 10 mins
- Pop out of pan to cool on rack completely before frosting.
When I made this, I used way too much wet ingredients, and ended up with enough to frost about 6 cakes... you may need to mess with it a bit, but I've vastly reduced the quantities. I mixed this all up in a food processor, you could use a blender if you like (at least for the strawberries)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar for canucks)
- 1 TBSP vegan margarine
- 1 TBSP soy milk
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 strawberries
Method to the madness
What I did:
- beat the margarine up a bit, because you are angry at it
- put margarine, soy milk, vanilla and strawberries in food processor (or blender)
- whir it around until it is all liquidy
- (you can do this in a bowl with a stick if you like) slowly add in sugar until icing consistency... you may need to add more, but you shouldn't end up with a 5 gallon pail (20 litres in Canada) of the stuff.
Frost those little babies, and top with a strawberry, blueberry, raspberry if you like. If your name is Mark Holloway, slap a bit of bacon on it.